Saturday, August 23, 2008

Kindergarten Blues

Whenever the subject of kindergarten has come up, I have felt sympathy for those involved; the nervous little ones and the nervous big ones. But I guess this is just like everything else, you just don't know until you know. What has surprised me is why these tears are coming. My little Grace is going to a great school. Her Grandma is going to be there for whatever little thing that could possibly EVER come up. I can't express the comfort that brings. Her cousin will be with her when I drop her off and when I pick her up, and she is going to be in the classroom right across the hall. Again, what comfort.
Why then, do I have this nagging anxiety? Could it be that from here on out, our life as we know it is going to be different? Perhaps that my sweet little child is now closer to knowing things that will change how she sees the world? That this secure world she knows might introduce her to her own insecurities? Hold on, I need to blow...my nose...and wipe...my eyes...
Yes, I have considered home schooling. Yeah right.
I know, I know. This is something she needs to experience. She will grow and become better. I will too-and in no time I'll be wondering what all the fuss is about. But right now, I just want to cry. And so I will.

10 comments:

Humes Family said...

Hey Callie, what joy that I've found a blogger that I know ;)
Looks like life is treat'n you well

Sarah (Bello) Humes

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

Sad day! I am having anxiety about even THINKING about putting Austin in some rec center classes. I can't say I know how you feel since mine isn't going YET, but I know it's gonna be hard. Good luck and hope she has a great first day! :) P.S. Yep, my hair sure is cute...thanks to a fantastic stylist and friend. :)

Michelle said...

I think it will be a great experience once the initial shock is over. Change is always hard (especially for Mommys). Grace is going to be a perfect little student and everyone will love her!

Janelle said...

Callie...I love you blog, I miss your cute little Gracie!

Me said...

I know how you feel, Callie. I swore up and down I would not be one of those weepy moms that cried when the kids went to school, but when it happened I made a liar of myself. It wasn't really school, or that he was getting older, it was all the experiences he will now have. I think you hit it right on the head, it is the fact that these sweet little ones are going out into the world and will be out from under our protection. Last year Jaren came home from school crying like crazy saying that he sat alone at recess because nobody wanted to play with him. Oh mama, it broke my heart. Then there was the time he told me how wasps mate! Ahhh, do we need to know those things at age 5, really?! But, you are right, they grow from their experiences and come out sronger. We did, I guess! Hang in there! good luck tomorrow, I can't wait to hear about it.

Nat said...

First of all, I absolutely ADORE that first picture of your little girl laughing at your stone faced boy. The cutest picture ever! Second, I have totally forgotten how funny you were Callie! Your blog cracks me up! I love your sense of humor. Third, I can't believe you have a kindergartner! Wow! I think I'd be crying too.

Erica Wyatt said...

My girls are starting tomorrow too. YIKES!!! I am right there with ya. Welcome to the blogging world. Can't wait to keep up with you guys way out there in Henderson.

Jim said...

I have three grandchildren starting school this year. I am excited for them and for Gracie. I have no doubt they will all do well. I suspect the adjustment is more difficult for the moms than for the kids.

Great pictures!

Sara said...

Let me first say that I love your pictures of you kids...Too Cute! I know I'm going to feel the same way as you are a year from now! I already think about it and try to prep myself. I have all the same fears as you! Once they're in school there are so many new challenges for them and it is so scary! Your little Grace looks like she is such a little sweetie...I'm sure she'll do great!

Carly said...

Maybe I'm horrible because it was not hard for me to send Ginny to school for Kindergarten last year or 1st grade this year. She is such a go-go kid that loves to be around other kids and likes to stay busy. I do look at her sometimes and think that I can't believe that I have a child that old. She will be 7 in October!!! I've gotten teary a few times from things she's dealt with at school, but I know they have to learn and experience. I'm sure I will be teary the day that Lucy goes to Kindergarten because she'll be my last!